Cities
Lovech
Bulgaria


Location: Lovech is located along the banks of Osam River, at the foot of the Balkan Mountain. It is 155 km away from Sofia and 90 km away from the old capital of Bulgaria Veliko Tarnovo.

Population: 40 444 inhabitants

History: Lovech is one of the oldest towns in Bulgaria. During the Middle Ages the city was an important military strategyc centre and it was named Lovats (the city of hunters) till the 11th century.

During the first centuries of the Ottoman rule the town was in decline and it was not before the 18th century and particularly the 19th century that it flourished again, mainly because of the crafts and trade. The town was often called Altan Lovech (Golden Lovech). At the end of 1869 Vasil Levski, the apostle of Bulgarian freedom, the founder and organizer of the Bulgarian national liberation movement, established the local revolutionary committee and chose Lovech for the centre of Bulgarian revolution. Today Lovech is a proven cultural and tourist centre that attracts visitors mainly because of its monuments and unique natural beauty.

Landmarks:

  • Varosha Architecture and Historical Reserve the old city centre, is located amphitheatrically at the right bank of Osam River. There are more than 160 fully restored houses, which are remarkable examples of Bulgarian architecture from the National Revival period. The museum The Bulgarian Revival and the National Liberation Movement, aslo known as Vasil Levski" museum is located in the Varosha quarter.

  • The Covered Bridge above the Osam River was built by master Nikola Fichev (also called Usta Kolyu Ficheto) in 1872-1874. This is the only covered bridge on the Balkans, and was reconstructed in 1931, after it almost burned entirely. The bridge is the main attraction for the visitors of Lovech, while the shops around it offer all types of souvenirs related to Lovech and the region pictures, pottery, sculptures, clothing and music.

  • Lovech Fortress is famous with the fact that it withstood one-month siege by Byzantine forces. The remnants of the fortress could be seen today at the right riverbank, on the Hisarya hill.

  • Stratesh Park is one of the greatest landmarks in Lovech. It was constructed with the help, contributions and labour of the town inhabitants. Today it covers an area of approximately 1000 decares, where there are many walking alleys, fishpond and even a zoo the second largest after the one in Sofia.

  • Regional Museum of History Lovech keeps more than 70 000 exhibits. They are divided between exhibition halls Archaeology, Bulgarian history 15th-19th century, Ethnography and New and newest history of Bulgaria.

  • The Vasil Levski Museum is dedicated to the life and work of Vasil Levski is also part of the Regional Museum of History. In his struggle for liberty he chooses Lovech to be revolutionary centre, that is why the museum is here. On two floors a visitor can see the history of the struggle of Bulgarian people against Ottoman rule and the participation Vasil Levski in it.

  • Vasil Levkis Monument is probably the greatest national monument in the country, which is dedicated to the gerat Apostle of Bulgarian freedom.