Places of interest
Etara

The architecture and ethnographic musem Etara is the first museum of its kind in Bulgaria. It was opened in 1964 and it is located 8 km south from the town of Gabrovo.

There are more than 50 objects in the museum technical facilities, activated by water, houses with craftsmans workshops and sites of public significance. The purpose of the museum exposition is to reveal the architecture, lifestyle and economic past of Gabrovo and the region of Gabrovo during the era of the Bulgarian Revival the second half of the 18th and the 19th century. This was a period, when more than 26 crafts developed in the town, whose final products were marketed in Bucharest, Vienna, Marseille and Anatolia. In 1835 the First new Bulgarian secular school was opened here. The favourable economic and political changes that took place during the 30s of the 19th century contributed to the development of Gabrovo as a significant economic, spiritual, educational and commercial centre.

The museum was constructed by using three main methods: restoration of sites that were found on the terrain; transportation of authentic facilities and reproduction of buildings according to photographs that were made before that (copies of the original ones).